Visiting Thunder Bay
Travelers to Thunder Bay give high marks for the top-notch restaurants and shopping. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its lakeside setting and local tours. Top sights in the city include Terry Fox Monument and Fort William Historical Park.
- There are 29 hotels and other accommodations in Thunder Bay
- The closest major airport is in Thunder Bay, ON (YQT-Thunder Bay Intl.), 18.5 mi (29.8 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Thunder Bay
The city is notable for landmarks like Terry Fox Monument, Fort William Historical Park, and Hillcrest Park. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakeside and these places to visit: Hazelwood Lake Conservation Area, Cascades Conservation Area, and Centennial Park. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Intercity Shopping Centre is a favorite for retail therapy.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 29 hotels and other lodging options available to pick from in Thunder Bay. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Thunder Bay - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and WiFi.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Thunder Bay - Our customers like the convenient parking and clean, quiet rooms at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Marriott's TownePlace Suites Thunder Bay - With a stay at this 2.5-star aparthotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers love its quiet location and room service.
One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Kakabeka Falls, 23.8 mi/38.3 km from the center of the city.
Dressing for Thunder Bay
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 39°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around -8°F
- From April to June, the average is 73°F during the day and 19°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 76°F during the day and 37°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 57°F as the daytime average and -2°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Thunder Bay is 1.02 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 73°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of -3°F