Families will find kid-friendly activities in Wanaka, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, top-notch restaurants, and magnificent mountain views. Tourists who journey to this walkable city can discover its ski areas, shopping, and sporting events.
- There are 94 hotels and other accommodations in Wanaka
- The closest major airport is in Wanaka (WKA), 8.4 mi (13.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Queenstown (ZQN-Queenstown Intl.), 30 mi (48.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Wanaka
The lakeside, hiking trails, and mountain views highlight the city's natural beauty, and Lake Wanaka, That Wanaka Tree, and Pembroke Park are worth a visit. Skiing is a top activity, and Crown Range is one place to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Rippon Vineyard and Picture Lounge.
In Wanaka, you'll be able to select from 94 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect vacation. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Lakeside Apartments - This 5-star apartment features an outdoor pool, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia travelers love its pool and helpful staff.
- Wanaka Haven - Our customers like the dining options and breakfast at this lodge. With a stay at this 5-star lodge, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Riverview Terrace - This 5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable rooms.
Dressing for Wanaka
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 70°F and the nighttime average to be 47°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 64°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September averages 60°F during the day and 35°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 70°F during the day and 42°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Wanaka is 1.42 inches
- Hottest months are usually January and December with an average temperature of 69°F, while the coldest months are July and August with an average of 36°F