History buffs will enjoy exploring Yogyakarta, and visitors give high marks for the temples and local tours. This culturally-rich city also attracts tourists with its museums. Top sights in the city include Malioboro Street, Prambanan Temple, and Borobudur Temple.
- There are 961 hotels and other accommodations in Yogyakarta
- The closest major airport is in Yogyakarta (JOG-Adisucipto Intl.), 4.9 mi (8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Surakarta (SOC-Adisumarmo Intl.), 32.7 mi (52.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Yogyakarta
Well-known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include De Mata Trick Eye 3D Museum, Taman Pintar Science Park, and Sonobudoyo Museum. Attractions like Gembira Loka Zoo, Kids Fun Park, and TransMart Studio Mini are fun for kids of all ages. Its temples and historic sites are notable and landmarks include Prambanan Temple, Borobudur Temple, and Palace of Yogyakarta.
In Yogyakarta, you'll be able to select from 961 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. These are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Yogyakarta Marriott Hotel - This 5-star hotel features a full-service spa, 2 restaurants, and an outdoor pool. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and dining options.
- Hotel Tentrem - Our customers like the dining options and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 2 restaurants, along with a free stocked minibar.
- Dusun Jogja Village Inn - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with in-room LCD TVs. Expedia customers like its dining options and pool.
Other favorite sights in Yogyakarta include Malioboro Street, Jogja City Mall, and Parangtritis Beach.
Getting Around Yogyakarta
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop on a train at Yogyakarta Train Station. Yogyakarta may not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Yogyakarta
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 89°F during the day and 75°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 91°F, while the average at night is 75°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 93°F with nighttime averages of 73°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 93°F and nighttime averages of 73°F
- Average annual rainfall for Yogyakarta is 50.87 inches
- Usually September and October are the hottest months with an average of 93°F, whereas September and August are often coldest, averaging 73°F