Families will find kid-friendly activities in Ames, and visitors give high marks for the college vibe and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its sporting events and shopping.
- There are 50 hotels and other accommodations in Ames
- The closest major airport is in Des Moines, IA (DSM-Des Moines Intl.), 33.9 mi (54.6 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Ames
Cultural venues in the city include Stephens Auditorium, Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad and Museum, and Octagon Center for the Arts. Shopping is a favorite activity, so consider an excursion to Main Street Cultural District and RVP~1875 Historic Furniture Shop & Museum. Football fans will find lots to cheer about, while everyone can enjoy an event or game at Hilton Coliseum, Jack Trice Stadium, or Boone Speedway.
In Ames, there are 50 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Ames - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- Iowa House Historic Inn near Campus - Our customers like the breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms at this B&B. This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ames - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
Dressing for Ames
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 56°F and the nighttime average to be 11°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 85°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September averages 85°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 71°F during the day and 12°F at night
- Ames gets about 35.83 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and June with an average temperature of 83°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 14°F