Families will find kid-friendly activities in Johnston, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. Welcoming and relaxing, this city will delight tourists with its festivals, shopping, and riverfront. Around the area, top sights include Des Moines Art Center, Salisbury House, and Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden.
- You'll find 147 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Des Moines
- The closest major airport is in Des Moines, IA (DSM-Des Moines Intl.), 12.3 mi (19.8 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Johnston
The city is well known for its festivals and opera, and Iowa Gold Star Military Museum is a local cultural venue. Additionally, you might want to add Pioneer Hi-Bred Headquarters to your agenda.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 5 hotels and other lodging options available to pick from in Johnston. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center Des Moines - With a stay at this 2-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and quiet location.
- Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale - Our customers like the location and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott - Des Moines Urbandale - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its pool and helpful staff.
In the surrounding area, popular places to see include Des Moines Art Center, located 8.4 mi (13.6 km) from the heart of the city, and Salisbury House, which is 8.9 mi (14.3 km) away.
Dressing for Johnston
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 56°F during the day and 11°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 86°F, while the average at night is 32°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 87°F with nighttime averages of 45°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 71°F and nighttime averages of 12°F
- Johnston gets about 36.10 inches of rain per year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 85°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 14°F