History buffs will enjoy exploring Bergen, and visitors give high marks for the seafood restaurants, shopping, and local tours. Tourists who journey to this walkable city can discover its museums, cafés, and mountain views. Top sights in the city include Hanseatic Museum, Floibanen Funicular, and Grieg Hall.
- There are 97 hotels and other accommodations in Bergen
- The closest major airport is in Bergen (BGO-Flesland), 8 mi (12.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Stord (SRP-Sorstokken), 41.3 mi (66.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Bergen
The city is well known for its museums and live music, and cultural venues include Hanseatic Museum, Grieg Hall, and Leprosy Museum. Attractions like Floibanen Funicular, Bryggen Waterfront, and Bergen Aquarium are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like St Mary's Church (Mariakirken), Troldhaugen, and Bryggen.
In Bergen, you'll find 97 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Opus XVI - Guests who stay at this 4.5-star hotel in Bergen City Centre can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and overall value.
- Scandic Flesland Airport - Our customers like the breakfast and proximity to the airport at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel in Ytrebygda features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
- Bergen Børs Hotel - This 4-star hotel in Bergen City Centre features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and central location.
Other top sights in Bergen include Mt. Floyen and Hurtigruten Terminal.
Getting Around Bergen
With so many choices for transportation, exploring all of Bergen is simple. You can access metro transit at Byparken Station, Nonneseteren Station, and Bystasjonen Station. If you'd like to explore more of the area, ride aboard a train from Bergen Station, Bergen Arna Station, or Bergen Takvam Station.
Dressing for Bergen
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 45°F during the day and 31°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 62°F, while the average at night is 34°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 65°F with nighttime averages of 45°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 54°F and nighttime averages of 33°F
- Bergen gets about 77.56 inches of rain per year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 63°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 32°F