Travelers to Garmisch-Partenkirchen give high marks for the ski areas, magnificent mountain views, and shopping. This walkable city also attracts tourists with its restaurants and spas. Around the area, top sights include Garmisch-Partenkirchen Ski Resort, Ettal Abbey, and Linderhof Palace.
- There are 72 hotels and other accommodations in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- The closest major airport is in Innsbruck (INN-Kranebitten), 20.4 mi (32.9 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
The mountain views and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Richard Strauss Platz, Kramerplateauweg Hiking Trail, and Partnach Gorge. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Ludwig Street is a favorite for retail therapy. Skiing is a top activity, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen Ski Resort is one place to visit.
In Garmisch-Partenkirchen, you'll find 72 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday getaway. Below are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hotel Edelweiss garni - Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Upper Bavaria can enjoy access to free breakfast and a bar, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and room size.
- Staudacherhof - Our customers love the quiet location and high-quality beds at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 4.5-star hotel in Upper Bavaria can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with a free stocked minibar.
- Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway - Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Upper Bavaria can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Top places to visit in the area include Ettal Abbey, 5.2 mi/8.4 km from the city center, and Linderhof Palace, which is 8 mi (12.9 km) away.
Getting Around Garmisch-Partenkirchen
If you want to journey outside of the city, hop aboard a train from Garmisch-Partenkirchen Station, Garmisch-Partenkirchen Hausberg Station, or Garmisch-Partenkirchen Kainzenbad Station. Garmisch-Partenkirchen might not have many public transit choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 56°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 20°F
- From April to June, the average is 75°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 77°F during the day and 45°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 63°F as the daytime average and 22°F as the nighttime average
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen gets about 33.82 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 75°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 23°F