Couples looking to get away will find a romantic atmosphere in Montreux, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its live music. Top sights around the area include Freddie Mercury Statue, Aigle Castle, and Olympic Museum.
- There are 35 hotels and other accommodations in Montreux
- The closest major airport is in Sion (SIR), 25 mi (40.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Geneva (GVA-Cointrin Intl.), 40.7 mi (65.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Montreux
The city is well known for its live music scene and cultural venues like Musee du Vieux Montreux and Swiss National Audiovisual Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Freddie Mercury Statue and Castle Chatelard. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Montreux Casino and Place du Marche.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 35 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Montreux. These are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Fairmont Le Montreux Palace - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Montreux City Centre can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 5 restaurants, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its pool and comfortable rooms.
- Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic - Our customers like the dining options and proximity to public transit at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 4.5-star hotel in Montreux City Centre can enjoy access to a restaurant and a fitness center, along with free WiFi.
- BnB Belalp - Amenities at this 4-star bed & breakfast include a terrace and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and overall value.
Top places to see outside the city include Aigle Castle, 8.6 mi/13.9 km from the heart of the city, and Olympic Museum, which is 14.2 mi (22.9 km) away.
Getting Around Montreux
If you'd like to explore more of the area, ride aboard a train from Montreux Station, Montreux Chernex Station, or Montreux Caux Station. Montreux may not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Montreux
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 53°F during the day and 28°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 73°F, while the average at night is 37°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 77°F with nighttime averages of 47°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 62°F and nighttime averages of 31°F
- About 1.14 inches of rain falls on Montreux each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 75°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 30°F