Visiting Dar es Salaam
Visitors to Dar es Salaam are sure to enjoy the waterfront. Tourists can also enjoy the city's seafood restaurants, monuments, and breweries.
- There are 227 hotels and other accommodations in Dar es Salaam
- The closest major airport is in Dar es Salaam (DAR-Julius Nyerere Intl.), 6.1 mi (9.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Zanzibar (ZNZ-Zanzibar Intl.), 41.9 mi (67.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Dar es Salaam
Cultural venues in the city include National Museum of Tanzania, Makumbusho Village, and Little Theatre. The city is notable for landmarks like Uhuru Monument, St Joseph's Cathedral, and Atiman House. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the seaside and such places to visit as Pugu Hills Nature Centre and Dar es Salaam Botanical Gardens.
In Dar es Salaam, there are 227 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Amani Beach - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a private beach and 2 restaurants, along with a private patio. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale and pool.
- Hyatt Regency Dar Es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro - Our customers like the breakfast and beach locale at this hotel. This 5-star hotel in Kivukoni features a full-service spa, a casino, and 2 restaurants.
- Dar Es Salaam Serena Hotel - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Kivukoni can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
One of the popular sights outside the city is Kwale Island, located 30.6 mi (49.3 km) from the city center.
Getting Around Dar es Salaam
With so many transportation options, exploring all of Dar es Salaam is a breeze. If you want to venture outside of the area, hop aboard a train at Dar Es Salaam Central Station. You can ride a ferry across the water to see more of the region.
Dressing for Dar es Salaam
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 88°F and the nighttime average to be 74°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 86°F during the day and 67°F at night
- July through September averages 83°F during the day and 66°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 87°F during the day and 68°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Dar es Salaam is 35.80 inches
- Hottest months are usually March and February with an average temperature of 88°F, while the coldest months are September and August with an average of 66°F