Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Kandy, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its temples and gardens. A top sight in the city is Royal Botanical Garden.
- There are 410 hotels and other accommodations in Kandy
- The closest major airport is in Colombo (CMB-Bandaranaike Intl.), 52 mi (83.8 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Kandy
Cultural venues in the city include National Museum, International Buddhist Museum, and Ceylon Tea Museum. The city is notable for its temples and landmarks like Natha Devale, Temple of the Tooth, and Malwathu Maha Viharaya. The gardens and lakeside highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Royal Botanical Garden, Wales Park, and Kandy Lake.
In Kandy, you'll be able to select from 410 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Notting Hill Country House - This 3-star guesthouse features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and overall value.
- Ayaana Boutique Hotel - Our customers like the breakfast and pool at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- The Elephant Stables - This 3.5-star hotel features free breakfast, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool. Expedia customers like its pool and central location.
Getting Around Kandy
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop on a train at Kandy Railway Station. Kandy may not have many public transit choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Kandy
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 91°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 72°F
- From April to June, the average is 91°F during the day and 76°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 87°F during the day and 76°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 89°F as the daytime average and 73°F as the nighttime average
- About 2.44 inches of rain falls on Kandy each year
- April and March are usually the hottest months averaging 91°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 72°F