History buffs will enjoy exploring Split, and visitors give high marks for the local tours and beaches. This city also attracts tourists with its cafés. Top sights in the city include Diocletian's Palace, Cathedral of Saint Domnius, and Gregory of Nin Statue.
- There are 675 hotels and other accommodations in Split
- The closest major airport is in Split (SPU), 7.3 mi (11.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Brac Island (BWK), 19.3 mi (31.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Split
The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Diocletian's Palace, Cathedral of Saint Domnius, and Gregory of Nin Statue. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Marjan Hill, Bacvice Beach, and Meje Beach. Top activities include boating and taking local tours, while Port of Split and Split Marina are sights to visit.
In Split, you'll find 675 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- Villa Nepos - This 4-star apartment in Split Old Town features free WiFi and laundry facilities. Expedia travelers love its beach locale and helpful staff.
- LANTERNA ROOMS - Our customers like the central location and comfortable beds at this guesthouse. Guests who stay at this 4-star guesthouse in Split Old Town can enjoy access to a terrace and a 24-hour front desk, along with free WiFi.
- Splendida Palace - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its beach locale and clean rooms.
Other top sights in Split include Mestrovic Gallery. Popular places to visit in the area include Salona Ruins, located 3.1 mi (4.9 km) from the heart of the city, and Kamerlengo Fortress, which is 9.7 mi/15.6 km away.
Getting Around Split
With so many ways to get around, exploring all of Split is a breeze. If you want to explore the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Split Station. You can find out about your water travel options at the local marina.
Dressing for Split
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 60°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 42°F
- From April to June, the average is 83°F during the day and 49°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 61°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 73°F as the daytime average and 42°F as the nighttime average
- About 1.26 inches of rain falls on Split each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 84°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 42°F