Visiting West Thumb
Visitors can enjoy all that West Thumb has to offer including the parks and ski areas. Top sights around the area include Old Faithful, Abyss Pool, and Castle Geyser.
- There are 8 hotels and other accommodations in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in West Yellowstone, MT (WYS-Yellowstone), 32.9 mi (52.9 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in West Thumb
The city's natural beauty is on display at Abyss Pool, West Thumb Geyser Basin, and Grant Village Campground. In the area, you'll also find Old Faithful and Castle Geyser.
As you plan your trip to West Thumb, you might not find the perfect accommodation in the heart of city, but you can choose from 8 hotels and other lodging options within the larger area. Here are places to stay in the area:
- Grant Village - Inside the Park is 2.3 mi (3.7 km) from the center of West Thumb. Guests who stay at this 2.5-star hotel in West Thumb can enjoy access to free parking and WiFi.
- Headwater's Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch is located 22.6 mi (36.4 km) from the heart of West Thumb. This 3-star hotel in Flagg Ranch features a restaurant, free parking, and a bar. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its proximity to shopping and room size.
- Old Faithful Inn - Inside the Park is 13.6 mi (22 km) from central West Thumb. This 2.5-star hotel in Yellowstone National Park features a restaurant, a bar, and a 24-hour front desk.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Grand Geyser, 14.1 mi/22.6 km from the city center, and Grand Prismatic Spring, which is 15.4 mi (24.8 km) away.
Dressing for West Thumb
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 41°F and the nighttime average to be 0°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 73°F during the day and 17°F at night
- July through September averages 79°F during the day and 24°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 59°F during the day and -2°F at night
- About 22.83 inches of rain falls on West Thumb each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 76°F, while the coldest months are December and February with an average of 0°F