Families will find kid-friendly activities in Bakersfield, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants and entertainment choices. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its cafés and live music. Top sights in the city include Kern County Museum, Los Padres National Forest, and Rabobank Arena.
- There are 113 hotels and other accommodations in Bakersfield
- The closest major airport is in Bakersfield, CA (BFL-Meadows Field), 4 mi (6.4 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Bakersfield
Well-known for its live music scene, the city's cultural venues include Kern County Museum, Buck Owens Crystal Palace, and Fox Theater. Families come for attractions such as Kern County Fairgrounds, Camelot Park, and California Living Museum. The city's natural beauty is on display at Los Padres National Forest, The Park At River Walk, and Cecil Park.
In Bakersfield, you'll be able to select from 113 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Airport - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and comfortable, quiet rooms.
- The Padre Hotel - Our customers like the bar and clean, quiet rooms at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 3.5-star hotel in Downtown can enjoy access to 2 restaurants and a nightclub, along with free WiFi.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Bakersfield - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Bakersfield include Rabobank Arena.
Getting Around Bakersfield
To explore the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Bakersfield Station or Wasco Station. Bakersfield may not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Bakersfield
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 71°F and the nighttime average to be 39°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 95°F during the day and 48°F at night
- July through September averages 98°F during the day and 60°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 86°F during the day and 39°F at night
- Bakersfield gets about 5.75 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 96°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 40°F