History buffs will enjoy exploring Colchester, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. Tourists can also enjoy the city's museums, art, and theaters. A top sight in the city is Colchester Zoo.
- There are 57 hotels and other accommodations in Colchester
- The closest major airport is in London (SEN-Southend), 23.8 mi (38.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in London (STN-Stansted), 27.2 mi (43.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Colchester
Cultural venues in the city include Tymperleys Clock Museum, Colchester Natural History Museum, and Hollytrees Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Colchester Town Hall, Colchester Castle Museum, and Jumbo Water Tower. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Colchester Zoo and Colchester Castle Park.
In Colchester, you'll find 57 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Old Wills Farm - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and overall value.
- GreyFriars - Our customers like the dining options and comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features 2 restaurants, free breakfast, and free WiFi.
- Woodview Bed & Breakfast - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Getting Around Colchester
If you'd like to explore more of the area, ride aboard a train from Colchester Town Station, Colchester Station, or Colchester Hythe Station. Colchester might not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Colchester
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 51°F and the nighttime average to be 33°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 68°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September averages 71°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 61°F during the day and 36°F at night
- Colchester gets about 0.83 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 69°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 35°F