When we arrived, there were cob webs in the rafters and dirt on the floor. I even found a dead cockroach in the laundry room.
While we were there, we had a plumbing issue, but the owner responded quickly. He came out himself to do a patch job, then got a plumber out there the next day. He also gave us a gift certificate to a restaurant in town for the inconvenience.
While the plumber was there, he also observed a gas leak and fixed it. We don't have a gas stove at home, so we were not sure if it was normal to have a lingering gas smell. We also could not figure out the oven, so when the owner came in, he had to light the pilot for us.
Other issues were minor: The table was wobbly, there was a power strip in the bedroom that would not run the air conditioner and our PS4 at the same time, and there were no instructions left for tenants about operating appliances or on a checkout process. There was also no remote for the blue-ray player, so my husband offered to program a universal remote if they bought one, which they did.
Overall, it was a nice, quaint, cozy place to stay, and we enjoyed our visit. However, there were a lot of small inconveniences that made it a little of a headache. We brought all of them to the attention of the owner and general manager so they can be rectified for future guests.