History buffs will enjoy exploring Ipswich, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. Culturally-rich and welcoming, this city will delight tourists with its theaters, entertainment choices, and sporting events. A top sight in the area is Colchester Zoo.
- There are 68 hotels and other accommodations in Ipswich
- The closest major airport is in London (STN-Stansted), 39.6 mi (63.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Cambridge (CBG), 42.7 mi (68.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Ipswich
Well known for its theaters, the city's cultural venues include Ipswich Film Theatre, Cornhill, and New Wolsey Theatre. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Ancient House, St Mary at the Elms, and St Mary-le-Tower. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Ipswich Museum and St Peter's by the Waterfront.
In Ipswich, you'll find 68 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Innocence Rooms East - With a stay at this 3-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free parking and self-service laundry, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and helpful staff.
- Riverside Cottage - Our customers like the breakfast at this B&B. With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and concierge services, along with an in-room coffeemaker.
- The Old Times Guest House - This 3.5-star guesthouse features a restaurant, free WiFi, and a bar. Expedia customers like its bar and breakfast.
One of the top places to see in the surrounding area is Colchester Zoo, located 19 mi (30.6 km) from the city center.
Getting Around Ipswich
If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Ipswich Station, Derby Road Station, or Westerfield Station. Ipswich might not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Ipswich
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 51°F during the day and 33°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 68°F, while the average at night is 38°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 71°F with nighttime averages of 48°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 61°F and nighttime averages of 36°F
- About 0.83 inches of rain falls on Ipswich each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 69°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 35°F