Visiting Playa del Carmen
Travelers to Playa del Carmen give high marks for the beaches, entertainment choices, and top-notch restaurants. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its bars. Top sights in the city include Xcaret Eco Theme Park and El Camaleon Golf Club.
- There are 2028 hotels and other accommodations in Playa del Carmen
- The closest major airport is in Cozumel, Quintana Roo (CZM-Cozumel Intl.), 12.2 mi (19.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Cancun, Quintana Roo (CUN-Cancun Intl.), 31.4 mi (50.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Playa del Carmen
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Xcaret Eco Theme Park, Playa del Carmen Main Beach, and Mamitas Beach Club. Snorkeling is just one of the top activities, while El Camaleon Golf Club and Martina Beach Club are sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Central Square and Nuestra Senora del Carmen Catholic Church.
In Playa del Carmen, you'll be able to select from 2028 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Casa Gem B&B - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and clean rooms.
- Rosewood Mayakoba - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 3 outdoor pools and a full-service spa, along with a private plunge pool.
- Newport House Playa Boutique Hotel - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and a rooftop terrace, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its WiFi and comfortable rooms.
Top places to visit outside the city include Xpu-ha Beach, located 15.9 mi (25.6 km) from the heart of the city, and Paradise Beach, which is 15.9 mi/25.6 km away.
Dressing for Playa del Carmen
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 86°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 68°F
- From April to June, the average is 87°F during the day and 70°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 89°F during the day and 74°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 87°F as the daytime average and 67°F as the nighttime average
- Playa del Carmen gets about 1.65 inches of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 88°F, while December and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 68°F