Families will find kid-friendly activities in Rutland, and visitors give high marks for the ski areas, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. Scenic and welcoming, this city attracts tourists with its university setting and mountain views. Top sights around the area include Killington Resort and Okemo Mountain Resort.
- You'll find 587 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Central Vermont- Killington
- The closest major airport is in Rutland, VT (RUT-Rutland Southern Vermont Regional), 5.7 mi (9.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Springfield, VT (VSF-Hartness State), 29.3 mi (47.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Rutland
Favorite family attractions include Vermont State Fairgrounds and Hathaway Farm. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the mountain views and such places to visit as Pine Hill Park and Bucklin Trailhead. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Diamond Run Mall is a favorite for retail therapy.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 22 hotels and other lodging options available to choose from in Rutland. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- The Red Clover Inn & Restaurant - This 3-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Hampton Inn Rutland - Our customers like the breakfast and pool at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- The Vermont Inn - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Killington Resort, located 8.9 mi (14.3 km) from the heart of the city, and Okemo Mountain Resort, which is 19.4 mi (31.2 km) away.
Getting Around Rutland
To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Rutland Station. Rutland might not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Rutland
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 48°F and the nighttime average to be 7°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 79°F during the day and 26°F at night
- July through September averages 80°F during the day and 40°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 63°F during the day and 11°F at night
- Rutland gets about 40.43 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 78°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 10°F