Families will find kid-friendly activities in Gainesville, and visitors give high marks for the casinos. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its live music and theaters. A top sight in the area is WinStar Casino.
- There are 31 hotels and other accommodations in Gainesville
- The closest major airport is in Dallas, TX (DFW-Dallas-Fort Worth Intl.), 50.6 mi (81.4 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Gainesville
The city is well known for its live music and theaters, and cultural venues include Morton Museum, State Theater, and Butterfield Stage Players. Families come for attractions such as Frank Buck Zoo, Lavender Ridge Farms, and Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch. Notable city landmarks like Gainesville War Memorial and Cooke County Courthouse might be worth a visit.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 31 hotels and other lodging options available to pick from in Gainesville. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Denton Street Heritage House - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and WiFi.
- Four Horseman Travel Lodge - Our customers like the helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a seasonal outdoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Texas Inn - With a stay at this 2.5-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a 24-hour front desk, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and central location.
One of the top places to see in the surrounding area is WinStar Casino, 9.1 mi/14.7 km from the center of the city.
Getting Around Gainesville
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Gainesville Station. Gainesville might not have very many public transportation choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Gainesville
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 70°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 31°F
- From April to June, the average is 91°F during the day and 47°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 96°F during the day and 59°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 81°F as the daytime average and 31°F as the nighttime average
- Gainesville gets about 42.70 inches of rain per year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 93°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 33°F