History buffs will enjoy exploring Halifax, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. Welcoming and culturally-rich, this city will delight tourists with its entertainment choices, theaters, and coffeehouses. The Rock, Eureka The National Children’s Museum, and Bronte Parsonage Museum are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 28 hotels and other accommodations in Halifax
- The closest major airport is in Leeds (LBA-Leeds Bradford), 13 mi (20.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Manchester (MAN), 30 mi (48.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Halifax
Well known for its theaters, the city's cultural venues include Eureka The National Children’s Museum, Victoria Theatre, and Square Chapel Centre for the Arts. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Halifax Piece Hall, Halifax Borough Market, and Halifax Minster. The picturesque setting of Manor Heath Park and Jungle Experience and Ogden Water Country Park exemplify the city's natural beauty.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 28 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Halifax. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Shibden Mill Inn - This 5-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its bar and clean, comfortable rooms.
- The Fleece Inn - Our customers like the bar and quiet location at this guesthouse. With a stay at this 4-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Holdsworth House - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
Outside the city, top places to visit include The Rock, located 19.8 mi (31.9 km) from the city center, and Manchester Arena, which is 22.6 mi (36.4 km) away.
Getting Around Halifax
To see more of the larger area, hop aboard a train at Halifax Station. Halifax might not have very many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Halifax
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 48°F and the nighttime average to be 35°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 64°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September averages 67°F during the day and 46°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 56°F during the day and 35°F at night
- Halifax gets about 0.79 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 65°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 35°F