Families will find kid-friendly activities in Interlaken, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. Scenic and culturally-rich, this city also attracts tourists with its local tours. Top sights around the area include Trummelbach Falls, Eiger, and Schloss Schadau.
- There are 63 hotels and other accommodations in Interlaken
- The closest major airport is in Bern (BRN-Belp), 23 mi (37 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Interlaken
The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the mountain views and these places to visit: Lake Brienz, Lake Thun, and Swiss Alps. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and Hoeheweg is a favorite for retail therapy. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Kletterhalle Interlaken and Kunsthaus Interlaken.
In Interlaken, you'll find 63 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- VICTORIA-JUNGFRAU Grand Hotel & Spa - This 5-star hotel in Central Interlaken features a full-service spa, a casino, and 2 restaurants. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and comfortable rooms.
- Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof - Hostel - Our customers like the helpful staff and proximity to public transit at this hostel. This 2-star hostel in Central Interlaken features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Hotel Interlaken - This 4-star hotel in Central Interlaken features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its quiet location and comfortable rooms.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Trummelbach Falls, 8.4 mi/13.6 km from the city center, and Eiger, which is 10.7 mi/17.2 km away.
Getting Around Interlaken
To explore the surrounding area, hop aboard a train at Interlaken West Station or Interlaken Ost Station. Interlaken might not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Interlaken
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 50°F and the nighttime average to be 26°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 70°F during the day and 36°F at night
- July through September averages 73°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 59°F during the day and 28°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Interlaken is 1.02 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 71°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 28°F