Visiting Lake Tekapo
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Lake Tekapo, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting. Scenic and quaint, this city will delight tourists with its churches, mountain views, and local tours.
- There are 22 hotels and other accommodations in Lake Tekapo
- The closest major airport is in Timaru (TIU-Richard Pearse), 43.6 mi (70.2 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Lake Tekapo
The city is notable for its churches and landmarks like Mount John Lookout, Church of the Good Shepherd, and Sheepdog Statue. The lakeside and mountain views highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Lake Tekapo, Lake Pukaki, and Lake Benmore. Taking local tours is a top activity, and Roundhill Ski Area is one place to visit.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 22 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Lake Tekapo. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Scott Street Apartments - Amenities at this 3.5-star apartment include free WiFi and free parking. Expedia travelers love its proximity to shopping and high-quality beds.
- Lake Tekapo Village Motel - Our customers like the helpful staff and proximity to shopping at this motel. Amenities at this 3.5-star motel include free WiFi and free parking.
- Mantra Lake Tekapo - With a stay at this 4-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with an in-room kitchen. Expedia customers like its pool and clean, comfortable rooms.
Dressing for Lake Tekapo
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 70°F during the day and 47°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 64°F, while the average at night is 35°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 60°F with nighttime averages of 35°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 70°F and nighttime averages of 42°F
- Lake Tekapo gets about 1.42 inches of rain per year
- Usually January and February are the hottest months with an average of 69°F, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 36°F