Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Luray, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views and shopping. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its museums. Top sights in the city include Luray Caverns and George Washington National Forest.
- There are 156 hotels and other accommodations in Luray
- The closest major airport is in Charlottesville, VA (CHO-Charlottesville-Albemarle), 36.4 mi (58.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Weyers Cave, VA (SHD-Shenandoah Valley Regional), 36.6 mi (58.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Luray
Well-known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Car and Carriage Caravan Museum, Luray Valley Museum, and Dukes of Hazzard Museum. Attractions like The Garden Maze at Luray Caverns, Luray Zoo - A Rescue Zoo, and Shenandoah County Fairgrounds are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Rapidan Camp and Woodstock Tower Observation Site.
In Luray, there are 156 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Widow Kip's Country Inn - This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and a computer station. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and WiFi.
- Mimslyn Inn Historic Hotels Of America - Our customers like the dining options and overall value at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features 2 restaurants, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Rosendale Inn Bed and Breakfast - This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its proximity to shopping.
Other top sights in Luray include Luray Caverns and George Washington National Forest. One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Massanutten Water Park, 22.8 mi/36.8 km from the heart of the city.
Dressing for Luray
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 62°F during the day and 22°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 87°F, while the average at night is 37°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 87°F with nighttime averages of 49°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 74°F and nighttime averages of 22°F
- Average annual rainfall for Luray is 42.24 inches
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 86°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 23°F