History buffs will enjoy exploring Margate, and all visitors are sure to appreciate the museums. Welcoming and tucked away, this city attracts tourists with its beaches and art. Around the area, top sights include Canterbury Cathedral, Dreamland, and Royal St George's Golf Club.
- There are 22 hotels and other accommodations in Margate
- The closest major airport is in Manston (MSE-Kent Intl.), 2.8 mi (4.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in London (SEN-Southend), 32.2 mi (51.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Margate
The city is well known for its museums and art, and cultural venues include Margate Museum, Turner Contemporary, and Hornby Visitor Centre. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks such as Shell Grotto. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Margate Beach, Margate Main Sands, and Westbrook Bay.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 22 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Margate. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Sands Hotel - Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Margate Old Town can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its proximity to shopping and room size.
- Walpole Bay Hotel & Museum - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and WiFi at this hotel. Amenities at this 3-star hotel include a restaurant and an outdoor pool.
- The Crescent Victoria Hotel-Margate by Magnuson Worldwide - This 4-star inn features a restaurant, free WiFi, and a bar. Expedia customers like its beach locale and helpful staff.
Other top sights in Margate include Dreamland. Top places to visit around the area include Canterbury Cathedral, located 14.9 mi (24 km) from the heart of the city, and Royal St George's Golf Club, which is 7.4 mi (12 km) away.
Getting Around Margate
To see more of the larger area, hop aboard a train at Margate Station. Margate might not have very many public transit options to choose from so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Margate
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 35°F
- From April to June, the average is 68°F during the day and 39°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 71°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 61°F as the daytime average and 37°F as the nighttime average
- Margate gets about 1.02 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 69°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 35°F