History buffs will enjoy exploring Newbury, and visitors give high marks for the lively bar scene. Tourists can also enjoy the city's cathedral, archaeological sites, and art. Around the area, top sights include Oracle, Mapledurham House and Watermill, and Madejski Stadium.
- There are 36 hotels and other accommodations in Newbury
- The closest major airport is in Oxford (OXF), 29.8 mi (47.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Southampton (SOU), 31.2 mi (50.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Newbury
The city's cultural venues include West Berkshire Museum and Sandham Memorial Chapel. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Shaw House, Donnington Castle, and Welford Park. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Newbury Town Hall and Newbury Racecourse.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 36 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Newbury. Below are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Bow River House - Amenities at this 4-star bed & breakfast include free breakfast and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Central Gate Apartments by House of Fisher - Our customers love the central location and clean, quiet rooms at this apartment. With a stay at this 3.5-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to parking and self-service laundry, along with an in-room kitchen.
- The Vineyard - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and helpful staff.
Top places to visit outside the city include Oracle, 15.6 mi/25.1 km from the city center, and Mapledurham House and Watermill, which is 13.7 mi (22.1 km) away.
Getting Around Newbury
To see more of the surrounding area, ride one of the trains from Newbury Station or Newbury Racecourse Station. Newbury may not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Newbury
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 53°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 34°F
- From April to June, the average is 70°F during the day and 39°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 73°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 61°F as the daytime average and 37°F as the nighttime average
- Newbury gets about 1.22 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 71°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 36°F