Search over 1 million properties and 550 airlines worldwide
Free cancellation on most hotels. Because flexibility matters.
Meal plans available
Reviewed on Aug 27, 2020
You could be seeing lower prices
Travelers give high marks for the lively bar scene in Thirsk, which is also known for its coffeehouses. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its parks. Top sights around the area include Fountains Abbey and Turkish Baths and Health Spa.
- There are 23 hotels and other accommodations in Thirsk
- The closest major airport is in Durham (MME-Tees Valley), 19.6 mi (31.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Leeds (LBA-Leeds Bradford), 28.5 mi (45.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Thirsk
The city's cultural venues include Thirsk Museum and World of James Herriot. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the countryside and Sutton Bank National Park Centre. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Falconry UK and Yorkshire Moors.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 23 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in Thirsk. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Newsham Grange Farm Bed and Breakfast - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a spa tub, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Meadowcroft B&B - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- The Poplars - Amenities at this 4-star guesthouse include free WiFi and free parking. Expedia customers like its breakfast and convenient parking.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include York Minster, located 21.2 mi (34.2 km) from the heart of the city, and Fountains Abbey, which is 13.5 mi (21.7 km) away.
Getting Around Thirsk
If you want to explore the larger area, hop on a train at Thirsk Station. Thirsk may not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Thirsk
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 51°F and the nighttime average to be 34°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 68°F during the day and 38°F at night
- July through September averages 71°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 59°F during the day and 34°F at night
- About 0.75 inches of rain falls on Thirsk each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 69°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 35°F