Budget-minded travelers will find good deals in Wigan, and many visitors are sure to appreciate the sporting events. Tourists can also enjoy so much more including its entertainment choices. Top sights in the city include Wigan Pier and DW Stadium.
- There are 14 hotels and other accommodations in Wigan
- The closest major airport is in Liverpool (LPL-John Lennon), 17.1 mi (27.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Manchester (MAN), 19.5 mi (31.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Wigan
Cultural venues in the city include Museum of Wigan Life, Wigan Little Theatre, and Trencherfield Mill. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the countryside and Worthington Lakes Country Park. Other notable sights to explore include Wigan Pier and DW Stadium.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 14 hotels and other lodging accommodations to select from in Wigan. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Holiday Inn Express Wigan - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and bathrooms.
- The Wrightington Hotel & Health Club - Our customers like the overall value and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Bay Horse Hotel - This 3-star inn features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and helpful staff.
Popular places to visit in the area include The Rock, 14.3 mi/23 km from the city center, and Old Trafford, which is 15.2 mi (24.5 km) away.
Getting Around Wigan
If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from Manchester Wigan Wallgate Station, Wigan North Western Station, or Manchester Wigan North Western Station. Wigan might not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Wigan
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 50°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 36°F
- From April to June, the average is 65°F during the day and 40°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 66°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 58°F as the daytime average and 36°F as the nighttime average
- About 1.22 inches of rain falls on Wigan each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 65°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 36°F