History buffs will enjoy exploring Winchester, and visitors give high marks for the cathedral, beautiful gardens, and shopping. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its festivals and university setting. Top sights in the city include Great Hall and Winchester Cathedral.
- There are 41 hotels and other accommodations in Winchester
- The closest major airport is in Southampton (SOU), 8 mi (12.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Bournemouth (BOH-Bournemouth Intl.), 29.9 mi (48.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Winchester
Well known for its festivals, the city's cultural venues include Westgate Museum, Gurkha Museum Winchester, and Royal Green Jackets Museum. Its cathedral and historic sites are notable and landmarks include Great Hall, Winchester Cathedral, and Winchester Guildhall. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Queen Eleanors Garden and Theatre Royal Winchester.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 41 hotels and other lodging options to choose from in Winchester. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The King Alfred Pub - This 4-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
- The Plough - Our customers love the breakfast and high-quality beds at this inn. With a stay at this 4-star inn, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Lainston House Hotel - With a stay at this 5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its room size and location.
Outside the city, popular places to see include Southampton Maritime Museum, 12.2 mi/19.6 km from the city center, and Jane Austen's House Museum, which is 15 mi (24.1 km) away.
Getting Around Winchester
If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from Winchester Station, Winchester Shawford Station, or Winchester Micheldever Station. Winchester might not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Winchester
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 54°F and the nighttime average to be 38°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 69°F during the day and 42°F at night
- July through September averages 72°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 62°F during the day and 40°F at night
- About 1.06 inches of rain falls on Winchester each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 70°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 39°F