Travelers to Zanzibar give high marks for the beaches and local tours. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its entertainment choices. Top sights in the city include Nungwi Beach, Kendwa Beach, and Jambiani Beach.
- There are 575 hotels and other accommodations in Zanzibar
- The closest major airport is in Zanzibar (ZNZ-Zanzibar Intl.), 36.4 mi (58.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Pemba Island (PMA), 41.4 mi (66.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Zanzibar
The city is notable for landmarks like Christ Church Cathedral, Old Fort, and Livingstone's House. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and these places to visit: Nungwi Beach, Kendwa Beach, and Jambiani Beach. Snorkeling, taking local tours, and dolphin watching are top activities, while sights to visit include Kidichi Spice Farm and Zanzibar Ferry Terminal.
In Zanzibar, you'll find 575 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. These are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Tulia Zanzibar Unique Beach Resort - This 5-star lodge features 2 outdoor pools, a private beach, and free breakfast. Expedia travelers love its pool and WiFi.
- Boutique Hotel Matlai - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this hotel. With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with a private pool.
- Park Hyatt Zanzibar - This 5-star hotel in Stone Town features a full-service spa, free breakfast, and a restaurant. Expedia customers like its beach locale and helpful staff.
Other favorite sights in Zanzibar include Mnemba Island, Mapenzi Beach, and Kiwengwa Beach.
Dressing for Zanzibar
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 92°F during the day and 76°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 88°F, while the average at night is 73°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 85°F with nighttime averages of 72°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 89°F and nighttime averages of 72°F
- Zanzibar gets about 1.38 inches of rain per year
- Usually February and March are the hottest months with an average of 91°F, whereas July and August are often coldest, averaging 72°F