Posted Nov 22, 2016
The epitomy of "You get what you pay for." Old soap bar left in shower, missing do not disturb sign, no tp / kleenex refill in room with a tp
roll less than 1/3 remaining, but worst of all - refrigerator was so full of mold, we moved it outside the room for fear of being sick from mold. No replacement available, no offer to provide a discount or cold beverages or compensation. Mini fridge sat outside two nights while we stayed. Housekeeping is not doing a good job here, and staff not empowered to ensure guests are satisfied. This Quality Inn is lacking Quality. Disappointed.