History buffs enjoy visiting Volterra though all visitors are sure to find something to appreciate. Tourists can also enjoy the city's monuments, volcano viewpoints, and opera houses. Top sights around the area include Roman Theatre and Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta.
- There are 127 hotels and other accommodations in Volterra
- The closest major airport is in Pisa (PSA-Galileo Galilei), 31.2 mi (50.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Florence (FLR-Peretola), 32.5 mi (52.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Volterra
Cultural venues in the city include Roman Theatre, Medici Fortress, and Etruscan Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Parrocchia Basilica Cattedrale, Palazzo dei Priori, and Porta all'Arco. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Chiesa di Sant'Agostino and Palazzo Incontri Viti.
In Volterra, you'll be able to select from 127 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Borgo Pignano - Amenities at this farm stay include a full-service spa and free breakfast. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and beach locale.
- Albergo Villa Rioddi - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Hotel Volterra In - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a bar, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta, located 10.1 mi (16.2 km) from the heart of the city, and Abbazia di San Galgano, which is 22.5 mi/36.3 km away.
Getting Around Volterra
To see more of the larger area, hop on a train at Volterra Saline-Pomarance Station. Volterra may not have many public transit options so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Volterra
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 66°F and the nighttime average to be 43°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 88°F during the day and 49°F at night
- July through September averages 92°F during the day and 61°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 78°F during the day and 45°F at night
- Volterra gets about 31.22 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 90°F, while the coldest months are February and January with an average of 44°F