Visiting Governador Island
Visitors can enjoy all that Governador Island has to offer including the beaches and cafés. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its scenic landscape. Catedral de Sao Sebastiao do Rio de Janeiro, National Library (Biblioteca Nacional), and Maracana Stadium are some of the top sights around the area.
- You'll find 2298 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Rio de Janeiro
- The closest major airport is in Rio de Janeiro (GIG-Galeao - Antonio Carlos Jobim Intl.), 2.7 mi (4.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Rio de Janeiro (SDU-Santos Dumont), 7.7 mi (12.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Governador Island
The city's natural beauty is on display at Guanabara Bay, Praia da Olaria, and Morro do Ouro. Additionally, in the area you'll find Catedral de Sao Sebastiao do Rio de Janeiro and National Library (Biblioteca Nacional).
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 12 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Governador Island. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Linx Galeão - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its WiFi and comfortable rooms.
- Pousada Gaivota Livre Galeão - Our customers like the helpful staff at this pousada. This 2.5-star pousada in Moneró features an outdoor pool, free WiFi, and a poolside bar.
- Plage Hotel - This 2.5-star hotel in Freguesia (Ilha) features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
Top places to see around the area include Maracana Stadium, 7.5 mi/12.1 km from the heart of the city, and Arcos da Lapa, which is 7.5 mi/12.1 km away.
Dressing for Governador Island
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 85°F during the day and 71°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 81°F, while the average at night is 63°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 76°F with nighttime averages of 63°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 83°F and nighttime averages of 65°F
- Governador Island gets about 1.93 inches of rain per year
- Usually February and January are the hottest months with an average of 84°F, whereas July and June are often coldest, averaging 63°F