Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Sanibel, and visitors give high marks for the beaches. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its relaxing setting. Top sights around the area include Lovers Key State Park, Sun Splash Water Park, and Edison and Ford Winter Estates.
- You'll find 2330 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Fort Myers
- The closest major airport is in Fort Myers, FL (RSW-Southwest Florida Intl.), 21.6 mi (34.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Naples, FL (APF-Naples Municipal), 28.8 mi (46.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Sanibel
The beaches and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Sanibel Captiva Island, Gulfside City Park, and Bowman's Beach. Top activities include bird watching and biking, while Dunes Golf and Tennis Club and Castaways Marina are sights to visit. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Bailey - Matthews Shell Museum and Sanibel Historical Museum and Village.
In Sanibel, there are 471 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Ocean's Reach Condominiums - This 3-star condo features an outdoor pool, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia travelers love its beach locale and helpful staff.
- Seahorse Cottages on Sanibel - Adults Only - Our customers love the beach locale at this cottage. With a stay at this 3-star cottage, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Tarpon Tale Inn - With a stay at this 3-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a library, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers love its convenient parking and nice bathrooms.
Popular places to visit around the area include Lovers Key State Park, located 13.8 mi (22.3 km) from the heart of the city, and Sun Splash Water Park, which is 14.8 mi/23.9 km away.
Dressing for Sanibel
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 82°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 53°F
- From April to June, the average is 92°F during the day and 61°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 92°F during the day and 73°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 89°F as the daytime average and 54°F as the nighttime average
- About 55.91 inches of rain falls on Sanibel each year
- August and July are usually the hottest months averaging 92°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 55°F