Visiting White Mountains
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring White Mountains, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, ski areas, and shopping. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its riverfront. Top sights in the city include Mount Washington State Park, Wildcat Mountain Ski Area, and Waterville Valley Resort.
- There are 632 hotels and other accommodations in White Mountains
- The closest major airport is in Whitefield, NH (HIE-Mount Washington Regional), 17.7 mi (28.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Fryeburg, ME (FRY-Eastern Slopes Regional), 23.4 mi (37.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in White Mountains
Cultural venues in the city include Newport Historical Society, New England Ski Museum, and Colonial Theater. Attractions like Mount Washington Cog Railway, Clark's Trading Post, and Santa's Village are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Mt. Washington Auto Road, Wilder-Holton House, and Kilburn Crags.
In White Mountains, there are 632 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. These are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Coppertoppe Inn & Retreat Center - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
- The Glen House Hotel - Our customers like the quiet location and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 3.5-star hotel features a restaurant, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- The Wilderness Inn - With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and dining options.
Other favorite sights in White Mountains include Mount Washington State Park, Wildcat Mountain Ski Area, and Waterville Valley Resort. Top places to see around the area include Cranmore Mountain Resort, 14.2 mi/22.8 km from the city center, and Attitash Mountain Resort, which is 8.1 mi/13.1 km away.
Dressing for White Mountains
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 48°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 4°F
- From April to June, the average is 80°F during the day and 25°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 81°F during the day and 38°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 65°F as the daytime average and 7°F as the nighttime average
- About 48.73 inches of rain falls on White Mountains each year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 80°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 7°F