History buffs will enjoy exploring Galena, and visitors give high marks for the riverfront and shopping. This welcoming city also attracts tourists with its local tours. A top sight in the city is Chestnut Mountain Resort.
- There are 245 hotels and other accommodations in Galena
- The closest major airport is in Dubuque, IA (DBQ-Dubuque Regional), 14 mi (22.6 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Galena
Cultural venues in the city include Belvedere Mansion, Galena-Jo Daviess County History Museum, and Old Blacksmith Shop. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Grant Home, Old Market House, and Dowling House. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the riverfront and these places to visit: Apple River Canyon State Park, Horseshoe Mound, and Apple Canyon Lake.
In Galena, you'll find 245 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- The Steamboat House Bed & Breakfast - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room fireplace. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its walkable location and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast - Our customers like the breakfast and convenient parking at this B&B. This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Goldmoor Inn - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Galena include Chestnut Mountain Resort.
Dressing for Galena
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 52°F during the day and 11°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 82°F, while the average at night is 33°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 82°F with nighttime averages of 45°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 66°F and nighttime averages of 12°F
- Galena gets about 36.34 inches of rain per year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 81°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 14°F