Visitors can enjoy all that Honaunau has to offer including the seaside, seafood restaurants, and zoo. Top sights around the area include Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, Captain Cook Monument, and Hulihee Palace.
- There are 1163 hotels and other accommodations in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA-Kona Intl.), 23.4 mi (37.7 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Honaunau
A favorite place to visit in the city is Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park. In the area, you'll also find Captain Cook Monument and Hulihee Palace.
As you start planning your visit to Honaunau, your ideal accommodation may not be in the heart of the city but there are 100 hotels and lodging options locally. Listed here are places to stay in the region:
- Royal Kona Resort is 15.5 mi (25 km) from the center of Honaunau. Guests who stay at this 3-star hotel in Historic Kailua Village can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with a private lanai. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its pool and proximity to public transit.
- Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel is located 16.3 mi (26.2 km) from the heart of Honaunau. Guests who stay at this 3.5-star hotel in Historic Kailua Village can enjoy access to a full-service spa and 2 restaurants, along with free WiFi. Our customers like its family-friendly amenities and helpful staff.
- Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay is 10.2 mi (16.5 km) from central Honaunau. This 4-star resort in Kailua-Kona features 2 outdoor pools, a full-service spa, and 4 restaurants. Our customers like its family-friendly amenities and proximity to public transit.
One of the top places to see outside the city is Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, located 30.2 mi (48.5 km) from the center of the city.
Dressing for Honaunau
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 66°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 86°F, while the average at night is 68°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 87°F with nighttime averages of 72°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 87°F and nighttime averages of 67°F
- About 11.93 inches of rain falls on Honaunau each year
- Usually August and September are the hottest months with an average of 87°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 66°F