Travelers to Kailua-Kona give high marks for the seaside, volcano viewpoints, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its coffeehouses and restaurants. Top sights around the area include Hulihee Palace, Hapuna Beach State Park, and Pu'ukohola Heiau National Historic Site.
- There are 1127 hotels and other accommodations in Kailua-Kona
- The closest major airport is in Kailua-Kona, HI (KOA-Kona Intl.), 11 mi (17.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Kamuela, HI (MUE-Waimea-Kohala), 21.1 mi (33.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Kailua-Kona
The city's cultural venues include Hawaii Gateway Energy Center and Astronaut Ellison S. Onizuka Space Center. Attractions like Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation, Kona Community Aquatic Center, and Kona Le'a Plantation are fun for kids of all ages. The seaside, volcanoes, and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty, and Queen's Bath, Manini'owali Beach, and Kua Bay are worth a visit.
In Kailua-Kona, you'll find 1127 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Ohi'a Park Estate - This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its comfortable rooms and location.
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and beach locale at this resort. With a stay at this 5-star resort, guests can enjoy access to 7 outdoor pools and a full-service spa, along with free WiFi.
- Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa Village - This 3.5-star condo features 6 outdoor pools, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers love its breakfast and overall value.
Other top sights in Kailua-Kona include Hulihee Palace. Top places to see in the area include Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, located 23.4 mi (37.6 km) from the heart of the city, and Mauna Kea Observatory, which is 26.4 mi (42.5 km) away.
Dressing for Kailua-Kona
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 66°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 86°F, while the average at night is 68°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 87°F with nighttime averages of 72°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 87°F and nighttime averages of 67°F
- Kailua-Kona gets about 11.93 inches of rain per year
- Usually September and August are the hottest months with an average of 87°F, whereas February and March are often coldest, averaging 66°F