Visitors to Amherst are sure to enjoy the university setting, restaurants, and shopping. Tourists can also enjoy the city's art, local tours, and sporting events. Top sights around the area include Springfield Armory, Volleyball Hall of Fame, and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
- You'll find 77 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Springfield
- The closest major airport is in Westfield, MA (BAF-Barnes Municipal), 17.6 mi (28.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Hartford, CT (BDL-Bradley Intl.), 31.9 mi (51.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Amherst
University life is a highlight in the city and campuses to tour include University of Massachusetts-Amherst and Amherst College. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Emily Dickinson Museum and Mullins Center.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 5 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Amherst. Here are top ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- The Lord Jeffery Inn - This 3-star hotel features a restaurant, free WiFi, and free parking. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and helpful staff.
- Hotel UMass - Our customers like the overall value and clean, quiet rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- University Lodge - With a stay at this 2-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a business center, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its quiet location and helpful staff.
Outside the city, popular places to visit include Springfield Armory, 18.7 mi/30 km from the city center, and Volleyball Hall of Fame, which is 12.5 mi (20.1 km) away.
Getting Around Amherst
If you want to venture outside of the area, hop on a train at Amherst Station. Amherst may not have many public transit choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Amherst
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 52°F and the nighttime average to be 18°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 81°F during the day and 35°F at night
- July through September averages 83°F during the day and 48°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 67°F during the day and 21°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Amherst is 44.68 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 81°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 21°F