Families will find kid-friendly activities in Dover, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its shopping and university setting. A top sight in the area is Fort Constitution Historical Site.
- You'll find 108 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Portsmouth
- The closest major airport is in Portsmouth, NH (PSM-Portsmouth Intl.), 8.2 mi (13.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Sanford, ME (SFM-Sanford Seacoast Regional), 17 mi (27.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Dover
Favorite places to visit in the city include Woodman Institute, The Children's Museum of New Hampshire, and Bellamy River Wildlife Management Area. Additionally, you'll find Fort Constitution Historical Site in the area.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 7 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Dover. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- The Garrison Hotel, An Ascend Hotel Collection Member - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its central location and WiFi.
- The Silver Fountain Inn - Our customers like the breakfast and quiet location at this B&B. With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Hampton Inn Dover - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and proximity to shopping.
Getting Around Dover
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop on a train at Dover Transportation Center. Dover may not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Dover
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 49°F during the day and 9°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 79°F, while the average at night is 28°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 82°F with nighttime averages of 41°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 65°F and nighttime averages of 14°F
- About 49.17 inches of rain falls on Dover each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 79°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 13°F