Visiting Durango - Purgatory
History buffs will enjoy exploring Durango - Purgatory, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, riverfront, and ski areas. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its breweries and cafés. Top sights in the city include Purgatory Resort and Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.
- There are 373 hotels and other accommodations in Durango - Purgatory
- The closest major airport is in Durango, CO (AMK-Animas Air Park), 7.1 mi (11.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Durango, CO (DRO-La Plata County), 8.7 mi (14 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Durango - Purgatory
Cultural venues in the city include Durango Arts Center, Sorrel Sky Gallery, and Henry Strater Theater. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks such as St. Columba Catholic Church. The mountain views, riverfront, and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty, and Vallecito Lake, Piedra River Hot Springs, and Animas Mountain Trailhead are worth a visit.
In Durango - Purgatory, you'll be able to select from 373 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Blue Lake Ranch - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Durango, Co - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Apple Orchard Inn & Cottages - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its dining options and convenient parking.
Other top sights in Durango - Purgatory include Purgatory Resort and Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.
Getting Around Durango - Purgatory
To venture out into the surrounding area, hop on a train at Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad Station. Durango - Purgatory may not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Durango - Purgatory
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 45°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 2°F
- From April to June, the average is 75°F during the day and 18°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 76°F during the day and 29°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 61°F as the daytime average and 2°F as the nighttime average
- Durango - Purgatory gets about 23.30 inches of rain per year
- July and June are usually the hottest months averaging 74°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 4°F