Travelers to Erie give high marks for the fun sporting events, shopping, and casinos. This city also attracts tourists with its beaches, zoo, and restaurants. Top sights in the city include Millcreek Mall, Waldameer Water World, and Presque Isle Downs and Casino.
- There are 74 hotels and other accommodations in Erie
- The closest major airport is in Erie, PA (ERI-Erie Intl.), 5.9 mi (9.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Jamestown, NY (JHW-Chautauqua County), 41.8 mi (67.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Erie
Cultural venues in the city include Warner Theater, Erie Playhouse, and Erie Art Museum. Attractions like Waldameer Water World and Erie Zoo are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the beaches and such places to visit as Lake Erie and Edinboro Lake.
In Erie, you'll find 74 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect vacation. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Courtyard by Marriott Erie Bayfront - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its bar and beach locale.
- Four Creeks Bed & Breakfast - Our customers like the breakfast and proximity to shopping at this B&B. This 2.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel - This 3.5-star hotel features a restaurant, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Other top sights in Erie include Millcreek Mall and Presque Isle Downs and Casino. Top places to see in the area include Conneaut Township Park, located 27 mi (43.4 km) from the heart of the city, and Conneaut Railroad Museum, which is 27.3 mi (43.9 km) away.
Getting Around Erie
To venture out into the surrounding area, ride aboard one of the trains from Erie Station. Erie might not have many public transportation choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Erie
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 50°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 20°F
- From April to June, the average is 79°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 80°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 66°F as the daytime average and 22°F as the nighttime average
- Erie gets about 42.16 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 79°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 21°F