Families will find kid-friendly activities in Frederick, and visitors give high marks for the shopping and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its festivals. A top sight in the area is Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
- There are 61 hotels and other accommodations in Frederick
- The closest major airport is in Gaithersburg, MD (GAI-Montgomery County Airpark), 21.7 mi (35 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Hagerstown, MD (HGR-Hagerstown Regional), 26.3 mi (42.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Frederick
Well-known for its festivals, the city's cultural venues include National Museum of Civil War Medicine, Carroll County Farm Museum, and Roads and Rails Museum. Favorite family attractions include Frederick Fairgrounds and National Shrine Grotto of Lourdes. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Schifferstadt, Monocacy National Battlefied, and Loy's Station Covered Bridge.
In Frederick, you'll be able to select from 61 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Travelodge by Wyndham Brunswick near Frederick - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and room size.
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Frederick - Our customers like the breakfast and central location at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Hollerstown Hill Bed and Breakfast - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free parking, and a café. Expedia customers like its convenient parking and WiFi.
Popular places to see outside the city include Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, located 18.2 mi (29.2 km) from the city center, and Liberty Mountain Ski Resort, which is 23.8 mi (38.3 km) away.
Getting Around Frederick
If you want to venture outside of the area, hop on a train at Frederick Station. Frederick may not have many public transportation choices so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Frederick
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 62°F during the day and 26°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 88°F, while the average at night is 40°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 89°F with nighttime averages of 53°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 74°F and nighttime averages of 27°F
- Average annual rainfall for Frederick is 41.02 inches
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 88°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 27°F