Visitors can enjoy all that Honokaa has to offer including the waterfalls, opera houses, and entertainment choices. This city also attracts tourists with its secluded setting. Top sights around the area include Mauna Kea Observatory and Mauna Kea.
- There are 15 hotels and other accommodations in Honokaa
- The closest major airport is in Kamuela, HI (MUE-Waimea-Kohala), 11.3 mi (18.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Hilo, HI (ITO-Hilo Intl.), 39.1 mi (63 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Honokaa
The city's natural beauty is on display at Kalopa State Recreation Area, Hiilawe Waterfall, and Waipio Valley Lookout. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Hamakua Country Club and Hamakua Coast.
As you start planning your visit to Honokaa, the perfect accommodation may not be in the city center but there are 19 hotels and lodging options locally. Listed here are places to stay in the surrounding area:
- Hale Luana (Big Island) by RedAwning is 5.2 mi (8.4 km) from the center of Honokaa. This 3.5-star cottage in Honokaa features free WiFi and free parking.
- Hale Kukui Orchard & Cottages is located 5.6 mi (8.9 km) from the heart of Honokaa. Located in Honokaa, this hotel room features a kitchen and a living room. Our customers like its quiet location and comfortable beds.
- Waipio Hostel- Aina Room is 5.4 mi (8.7 km) from central Honokaa. Guests who stay at this 4.5-star resort in Kamuela can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a private beach, along with a private lanai. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms.
In the surrounding area, popular places to visit include Mauna Kea Observatory, located 16.6 mi (26.7 km) from the heart of the city, and Mauna Kea, which is 16.8 mi (27 km) away.
Dressing for Honokaa
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 79°F during the day and 63°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 83°F, while the average at night is 65°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 83°F with nighttime averages of 69°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 83°F and nighttime averages of 64°F
- Honokaa gets about 126.69 inches of rain per year
- Usually September and August are the hottest months with an average of 83°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 64°F