Travelers to Ookala will find plenty to explore and enjoy. This city also attracts tourists with its rich culture. Top sights around the area include Mauna Kea Observatory, Mauna Kea, and Akaka Falls.
- There are 69 hotels and other accommodations in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in Kamuela, HI (MUE-Waimea-Kohala), 23.1 mi (37.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Hilo, HI (ITO-Hilo Intl.), 25.2 mi (40.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Ookala
A couple of favorite places to visit are Hamakua Heritage Corridor and Hamakua Coast. In the area, you'll also find Mauna Kea Observatory and Mauna Kea.
As you plan your vacation to Ookala, your ideal accommodation may not be in the heart of the city but there are 12 hotels and lodging options locally. Here are places to stay in the region:
- Ocean Soul (Big Island) by RedAwning is 4.5 mi (7.2 km) from the center of Ookala. This 2.5-star guesthouse in Honomu features free WiFi and free parking. Our customers like its overall value and bathrooms.
- Hamakua Guest House and Camping Cabanas is 15.8 mi (25.4 km) from central Ookala. Guests who stay at this 3-star guesthouse in Hakalau can enjoy access to free parking and a terrace, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and quiet location.
- Oceanfront Legacy is located 12 mi (19.3 km) from the heart of Ookala. Guests who stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast in Hilo can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
A top sight outside the city is Akaka Falls, located 13.2 mi (21.2 km) from the center of the city.
Dressing for Ookala
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 79°F and the nighttime average to be 63°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 83°F during the day and 65°F at night
- July through September averages 83°F during the day and 69°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 83°F during the day and 64°F at night
- Ookala gets about 126.69 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and September with an average temperature of 83°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 64°F