Upon arrival at 11:30pm, we were met with a dark office and locked door. No big deal, we called and a staff came to check us in. He took a long time to struggle with the machine programming room keys. When got to our room, we found dust on the furniture, human hair around the sink, slow drain in the sink, and a soiled carpet. Because it's past midnight and we didn't want to bother the staff's sleep to change a room for us, we cleaned the room ourselves. The door lock malfunctioned and contently rejected our key cards forcing us to replace keys almost every day. Management was defensive at first and tried to downplay the condition of the lock for a few days. Eventually with our repeated requests, they agreed to clean the lock's key reader, after which the lock worked better. Room cleaning was few and far between. We were not picky and just requested a fresh set of towels to go by every a few days when the room was not cleaned. The sink was completely clogged towards the end of our stay, management attempted to fix but unsuccessful, a plumber was not available on the weekend. We had to deal with a clogged drain during the last three days of our stay. Overall, the worst experience of all the hotel/motel stays of my lifetime, no exaggeration. I cannot recommend this property to anyone until the management changes its attitude towards customer service, provides basic level of services to its customers, up keeps the property to meet bare minimum standards of cleanness and safety.