History buffs will enjoy exploring Portsmouth, and visitors give high marks for the bustling port and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its breweries, live music, and entertainment choices. Top sights in the city include Fort Constitution Historical Site, Hampton Beach, and Water Country.
- There are 195 hotels and other accommodations in Portsmouth
- The closest major airport is in Portsmouth, NH (PSM-Portsmouth Intl.), 3 mi (4.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Sanford, ME (SFM-Sanford Seacoast Regional), 22.5 mi (36.2 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Portsmouth
Well-known for its live music scene, the city's cultural venues include Music Hall, Portsmouth Athenaeum, and Seacoast Repertory Theatre. Attractions like Water Country and Casino Cascade Water Slide are fun for everyone, not just kids. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Fort Constitution Historical Site, Market Square, and Portsmouth Brewery.
In Portsmouth, you'll find 195 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. These are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Inn By The Bandstand - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with an in-room fireplace. Expedia travelers love its overall value and central location.
- The Sailmaker's House - Our customers like the breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms at this inn. Amenities at this 3.5-star inn include free WiFi and free parking.
- Three Chimneys Inn - This 3.5-star inn features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free parking. Expedia customers like its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other top sights in Portsmouth include Hampton Beach and Hampton Beach State Park. Top places to see in the area include Ogunquit Beach, located 15.4 mi (24.7 km) from the heart of the city, and Kittery Outlets, which is 2.7 mi (4.3 km) away.
Getting Around Portsmouth
With so many ways to get around, exploring Portsmouth is a breeze. If you'd like to explore more of the area, ride aboard a train from Durham Station, Dover Transportation Center, or Exeter Station. You can find out about options for water transportation at the local port.
Dressing for Portsmouth
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 14°F
- From April to June, the average is 81°F during the day and 30°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 82°F during the day and 44°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 67°F as the daytime average and 17°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Portsmouth is 50.91 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 81°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 17°F