Travelers to Salem give high marks for the college vibe, beautiful gardens, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its festivals, wineries, and museums.
- There are 165 hotels and other accommodations in Salem
- The closest major airport is in Salem, OR (SLE-McNary Field), 2.7 mi (4.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Corvallis, OR (CVO-Corvallis Municipal), 32.5 mi (52.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Salem
The city is well known for its festivals and museums, and cultural venues include Elsinore Theater, L. B. Day Amphitheater, and Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. Attractions like Enchanted Forest Theme Park, Wings and Waves Waterpark, and Salem Riverfront Carousel are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Salem First United Methodist Church, Union Street Railroad Bridge, and Gallon House Bridge.
In Salem, there are 165 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Atticus Hotel - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and a 24-hour fitness center, along with an in-room fireplace. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its helpful staff and proximity to shopping.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salem North - Keizer - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Hampton Inn and Suites Salem - This 2.5-star hotel in Southeast Salem features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Getting Around Salem
If you want to explore the larger area, hop aboard a train at Salem Station. Salem might not have very many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Salem
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 59°F and the nighttime average to be 34°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 78°F during the day and 39°F at night
- July through September averages 84°F during the day and 45°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 71°F during the day and 33°F at night
- About 39.61 inches of rain falls on Salem each year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 82°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 34°F