Families will find kid-friendly activities in Scranton, and visitors give high marks for the casinos, popular theater scene, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its live music and restaurants. Top sights around the area include Montage Mountain Ski Resort and Mohegan Sun Arena.
- There are 67 hotels and other accommodations in Scranton
- The closest major airport is in Wilkes-Barre, PA (AVP-Scranton Intl.), 6 mi (9.6 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Scranton
The city is well known for its live music and theaters, and cultural venues include Steamtown National Historic Site, Houdini Museum, and Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour. The picturesque setting of Nay Aug Park and Endless Mountains exemplify the city's natural beauty. The city is well liked for its places to shop, and The Mall at Steamtown is a favorite for retail therapy.
In Scranton, you'll be able to select from 67 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Dickson City Scranton - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and overall value.
- Hampton Inn Tunkhannock - Our customers like the helpful staff and comfortable, quiet rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Scranton Wilkes-Barre - This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and proximity to shopping.
Other top sights in Scranton include Mohegan Sun Arena. In the surrounding area, popular places to visit include Lake Wallenpaupack, located 21.9 mi (35.3 km) from the heart of the city, and Pocono Raceway, which is 25.2 mi/40.6 km away.
Dressing for Scranton
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 52°F during the day and 18°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 81°F, while the average at night is 33°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 82°F with nighttime averages of 47°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 66°F and nighttime averages of 20°F
- Average annual rainfall for Scranton is 38.27 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 80°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 20°F