Families will find kid-friendly activities in Waukegan, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, theme park, and shopping. This city also attracts tourists with its restaurants, theaters, and entertainment choices. A top sight in the area is Six Flags Great America.
- You'll find 1206 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Chicago
- The closest major airport is in Kenosha, WI (ENW-Kenosha Regional), 15.3 mi (24.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Chicago, IL (PWK-Chicago Executive), 18.3 mi (29.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Waukegan
Well known for its theaters, the city's cultural venues include Urban Edge Gallery, Genesee Theater, and Three Brothers Theatre. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Jack Benny Center for the Arts and Visual Arts Center.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 15 hotels and other lodging accommodations to choose from in Waukegan. Here are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Residence Inn by Marriott Waukegan/Gurnee - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and overall value.
- Courtyard Chicago Waukegan Gurnee - Our customers like the dining options and bar at this hotel. With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its overall value and WiFi.
One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Six Flags Great America, located 3.9 mi (6.3 km) from the heart of the city.
Getting Around Waukegan
If you want to venture outside of the area, hop on a train at Waukegan Station. Waukegan may not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Waukegan
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 50°F and the nighttime average to be 15°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 81°F during the day and 33°F at night
- July through September averages 82°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 67°F during the day and 16°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Waukegan is 34.09 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 80°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 17°F