History buffs will enjoy exploring Durango, and visitors give high marks for the magnificent mountain views, riverfront, and lively bar scene. Tourists to the city can also enjoy its scenic landscape. Top sights in the city include Purgatory Resort and Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad.
- You'll find 374 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Durango - Purgatory
- The closest major airport is in Durango, CO (AMK-Animas Air Park), 4.7 mi (7.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Durango, CO (DRO-La Plata County), 10.6 mi (17.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Durango
Cultural venues in the city include Sorrel Sky Gallery, Durango Arts Center, and Henry Strater Theater. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks such as St. Columba Catholic Church. The mountain views, riverfront, and hiking trails highlight the city's natural beauty, and Animas Mountain Trailhead, Weminuche Wilderness, and Lemon Reservoir are worth a visit.
In Durango, you'll find 340 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Blue Lake Ranch - With a stay at this 3.5-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Durango, Co - Our customers like the breakfast and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 3-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Apple Orchard Inn & Cottages - This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking. Expedia customers like its dining options and convenient parking.
Other top sights in Durango include Purgatory Resort and Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. A top sight outside the city is Mesa Verde National Park Entrance, located 29.7 mi (47.8 km) from the city center.
Getting Around Durango
To see more of the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad Station. Durango might not have many public transit choices so consider a car rental to maximize your time.
Dressing for Durango
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 57°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 9°F
- From April to June, the average is 85°F during the day and 26°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 86°F during the day and 37°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 69°F as the daytime average and 10°F as the nighttime average
- Durango gets about 16.06 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 84°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 12°F